Dallas Dhu Distillery

Dallas Dhu Distillery

Closed in 1983, and rebuilt into a museum in 1988.

The Dallas Dhu Distillery was founded in 1899 by the Glasgow-based company Wright & Greig Ltd. Llike most distilleries during this time, production was completely dedicated to the blended industry.

The word ‘dallas’ is derived from the gaelic word ‘dalais’, which means Valley and water. The word ‘dhu’ Means black and is derived from the gaelic word ‘dhub’. Whether dhu is a reference to dark water or a dark valley is uncertain.

After several changes in ownership in the early 20th century Dallas Dhu was mothballed from 1929 to 1936. In 1939 the stillhouse was destroyed by a huge fire. After WW2 they started to produce again in 1947. During the 1960s and 70s large sums of money were put into the distillery, but the investments failed to increase efficiency and the owners (United Distillers, todays Diageo) finally made the call to close Dallas Dhu for good.

Dallas Dhu has fared much better than many other closed distilleries, however and still exists as an exceptional museum which displays the entire whisky production process.

Dallas Dhu is currently maintained as a living museum by Historic Scotland.

Contact Dallas Dhu

Dallas Dhu
Mannachie Road
Forres
Morayshire
IV36 0RR
Scotland

Phone: +44 (0) 1309 676548

Visitors: Very Informative and good tour which covers most aspects of whiskymaking -well worth a visit! Open all year round, but visitors are recommended to call to check their exact opening hours. Admission is £3.50.

Share This
Scroll to Top