Do you wonder why each time you put a few ice cubes in your whiskey at home, the ice turns cloudy? You may notice that in a restaurant or bar, the ice remains crystal clear. There is a trick to the preparation. Read on as we tell you how to make clear ice cubes at home.
Why Are the Ice Cubes Cloudy?
Have you wondered why ice cubes turn cloudy when you add them to your whiskey? Some experts believe the reason the ice cubes look cloudy is due to the impurities in them.
However, you need not worry about these impurities much as they are generally not dangerous for your health. Any slight coloration in ice cubes is also due to these impurities present in the water used for making the ice cubes. There are specific methods on how to make clear ice cubes, which we explore below.
What Is the Scientific Reason Behind Cloudy Ice Cubes?
The cloudiness of the ice cubes is not only due to the impurities present in the water used. There is a scientific reason behind ice cubes being cloudy. The main reason for the cloudiness in the ice cubes is the freezing speed of the water to form the ice.
In addition to the impurities present in the water, the freezing process promotes the cloudiness in the ice cubes. You may notice that icicles formed on the ceiling of caves or on branches of trees in cold locations during winters are crystal clear.
These icicles are formed at a slow rate in layers, avoiding the accumulation of impurities and air bubbles. The result of this is clear icicles.
How to Make Perfectly Clear Ice Cubes at Home
If you would like to make clear ice cubes at home, read on for the best method on how to make crystal clear ice cubes.
- Buy a cooler that fits your freezer. Make sure the cooler is insulated.
- Get a few ice cube trays. These trays can be made of plastic or any other similar materials.
- Arrange these trays in rows inside the cooler.
- Now pour water into the cooler. Make sure that the cooler is filled to the brim. However, the lid should fit even after the cooler is filled.
- Do not cover the cooler. You can either keep the lid of the Cooler open or remove the lid.
- Freeze the cooler until it forms ice.
- Now remove the ice trays from the cooler.
- Place the ice trays in a clean bucket. Do not force the ice cubes out. They might break. Keep it warm for an hour until the cubes come out naturally.
- Now you can use a toothed knife to remove the upper layers. Removing the upper cloudy layers will bring out the inner clear ice cubes.
This is the process of how to make crystal clear ice cubes for whiskey and have them ready for your guests. You can make the ice cubes in ice makers as well.
The method of how to make clear ice cubes in ice makers is similar to this process. The only difference is that you will need an ice maker instead of the cooler and the ice tray. The ice maker can get you clear ice cubes in a quicker process.
How to Make Large Clear Ice Cubes
If you plan to have large, clear ice cubes, you can do so in large freezer molds. The process of how to make large clear ice cubes is comparatively more complicated than the cooler method.
You will require a sharp knife to cut through the ice and get you desired sizes. Chiseling the ice into cubes can be a tedious task. Be careful when chiseling as there will be sharp edges. If you see bubbles or cloudiness on the ice cube, you can break off those areas with a knife or a light hammer.
You can also leave it on a plate of water and let the lower cloudy layer of the ice cube melt. Many users prefer silicone molds as they are healthier options. There are different kinds of molds available in the market for you to choose from.
How to Cut the Blocks of Ice
The process and rules for cutting larger blocks of ice are as follows:
- Make sure that you place the block of ice on a flat dry surface.
- Get a toothed knife that is sharp enough to cut through the block.
- While cutting, place the knife on the line you want the cut and gently tap with a mallet lightly.
- As a protective measure, you can wear a pair of gloves and glasses while you are cutting the block of ice.
- Do not tap too hard with the mallet as it might break the ice.
- You can use a small pan to hold the ice block while cutting. It will make sure that the ice chips do not fall all over.
- Size your whiskey ice cubes as per your requirement.
With proper methods, it will no longer be difficult to have clear ice cubes made for your whiskey. You can make a large number of whiskey ice cubes all at once.
If you are okay with the cooler method for preparing ice cubes, that would be the easiest method. If you know other methods for how to make clear ice cubes at home, please let others know so that more people can benefit from it and be able to enjoy a classy whiskey-drinking experience at home.